HOME > Useful Information > Immigration > Overseas Koreans

Overseas Koreans

Definition of oversea Koreans.

Korean nationals who reside abroad” and “Koreans with foreign nationality” who have entered Korea holding F-4 status, who wish to be applicable under Overseas Koreans Law. (Under Overseas Koreans Law, Article 2, Section 1, they are referred to as “overseas Koreans Korean nationals who reside abroad” are Korean nationals who obtained permanent residency in a foreign country or reside overseas with the intention of living there permanently.

  • Those who obtained permanent residency status in a foreign country are those who have attained long-term residency rights from their countries of residence. (Presidential decree of the Overseas Korean Law Article 2-1)
  • Those who reside overseas with the intention of living there permanently are the ones who have moved overseas under Emigration Law Article 2-2, and yet to acquire permanent residency status. (Emigration Law Article 2-2)
  • Koreans with foreign nationality” refer to those who formerly had Korean nationality or their immediate descendants, who have attained foreign nationality and fall under one of the following categories
    • Former Korean nationals (including those who have emigrated overseas before government of Republic of Korea was established) who have attained foreign nationality. (Emigration Law Article 3-1)
    • One side of the parents or grandparents who once possessed Korean nationality (including those who have emigrated overseas before government of Republic of Korea was established) and have attained foreign nationality. (Emigration Law Article 3-2)

Overseas Koreans report period.

  • There’s no specific reporting period since a domestic residency report is not compulsory.
  • However, in case a Korean with foreign nationality does not intend to file a domestic residency report, he/she is required to register as a foreigner within 90 days of entry under Immigration Act Article 31.
  • Those who are granted Overseas Koreans (F-4) status or permission to change residence status by Korean Immigration must report domestic residency upon receiving such status or permission.

How to file a report

  • The principal must prepare required documents and report in person at the Immigration Office under the jurisdiction.(Proxy application is not allowed.)

Required documents

Documents required to report domestic residency.
  • Required documents are subject to change depending on individual circumstances.
Common documents to submit
  • passport or foreigner entry permission and a copy of passport (page with photo)
  • a photo (3.5cm×4.5cm)
  • fee: KRW 10,000 (Government stamp)
Korean nationals residing abroad
  • Domestic residence report for Korean nationals residing abroad
  • Basic registry
  • Family relation registry (those are needed to verify family relation)
  • Certificate of cancellation of resident registry (except for those who were born abroad and have attained permanent residency)
  • Copy of certificate of permanent residency in a residing country or documents verifying long-term stay status attained.

Koreans with foreign nationality

  • Domestic residence report for Koreans with foreign nationality
  • Basic registry of loss of Korean nationality (if removed after 2008.1.1) or certificate of loss of Korean nationality (if removed before 2008.1.1) or receipt of reporting loss of Korean nationality (issued at a Korean Embassy or Consulate)
  • (Chinese Koreans who don’t have basic registry or certificate of removal from family registry are required to submit Chinese identification card or hokubu. Overseas Koreans residing in the former Soviet Union are required to submit their birth certificate and passport.)
  • A copy of Overseas Koreans status (F-4)